How To Get More “Likes” on Facebook

Facebook, Timeline, Likes, IT Project Management, Marketing StrategyMany business owners feel that they need to be on Facebook. They then move quick to start a page with no strategy in mind. After a few weeks or months they then rule the whole exercise out as ineffectual when they fail to gather ‘likes’.

There are many elements involved in gaining traction with potential customers and customers on Facebook.

1. Content and purpose

Your Facebook page should be clearly defined. What is the purpose of opening the page? Sharing relevant, informative, useful information – links to videos, articles, blog posts etc. – is effectively what Facebook, and most social media, is all about. Content is central to driving likes and engagement, and therefore to getting new customers and keeping existing ones interested. The 80/20 rule shows that 80% of all content on your page should be targeted at the customer and their interests. This is what will convince them to click ‘like’ in the first place, and to stay a fan. The other 20% can safely be used for sales-focused updates about products and services.

2. Relevance and interest

Keep the content non marketing oriented.

Post content that is relevant to your customers interests.

3. Timeline

Facebook changed the layout of individual user’s and business’ pages to display posts as branches on a timeline, with the most recent appearing at the top of the page.  This change allows businesses to pin their most relevant content to the top of the page. It also gives them the opportunity to create a narrative with the content posted – something small businesses, especially, should take advantage of.

4. Engagement

Although the number of ‘likes’ on a page is important, it’s the engagement it drives that’s the true measure of its success. Facebook analytics service, Insights, reveals a metric called ‘People Talking About This’. This shows how many people are engaging with the content you post, and measures this by counting the times its been re-shared or acknowledged with a comment, direct mention, or ‘like’. Facebook treats these actions as if they were content being shared by that user, and displays the activity in that user’s timeline. Accordingly, the ‘talking about’ metric can be read as a measure of your business’ exposure on Facebook.

5. Incentives and competitions

One of the simplest ways of attracting attention on Facebook is by way of competitions with material incentives. Why should your customers follow you if there isn’t anything in it for them. Customers want discounts, invitations to events, samples, and giveaways.

6. Facebook Ads

Another straightforward method of building momentum is to use Facebook Ads. The ads work in a similar way to Google’s AdWords service; they’re priced on a pay-per-click basis that businesses bid for, and can be targeted according to Facebook users’ demographics. The more specific the demographic, the more targeted, and therefore expensive, the ad.

7. Broader social networking

Keep your customers coming back to your Facebook page by placing a permanent Facebook link on the business website.

Never pass up an opportunity to show potential customers who you are and what you do.

If you are seeking IT project management or similar marketing strategy, contact us for a FREE no obligation quote.